Combined Degree Program
The combined degree program provides exceptional OSU Undergraduate students an opportunity to double-count credit from their undergraduate studies towards a graduate degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Nuclear Engineering.
Students can take classes that can be counted toward both their undergraduate and graduate degree. Per departmental policy, students pursuing the combined degree program can double-count up to two courses toward their undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Who can apply to the combined degree program?
Students who have earned at least 90 cumulative semester hours and are enrolled in the Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related engineering disciplines, and have a 3.50 cumulative grade-point average or better in all previous undergraduate coursework, may apply.
Students interested in pursuing the combined degree program must have an honor's undergraduate research proposal submitted and reviewed by the College of Engineering and be pursuing honor's research in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
Which courses can be used?
All undergraduate requirements in the student's respective program must still be met. In order to receive graduate credit the courses must be letter-graded and meet the following requirements:
- Must be 5000-level or higher
- Must meet the course requirements for the graduate degree being pursued
- Must be taken upon enrolling in the combined degree program
- Must not be a capstone course
Technical electives are the most frequent means of satisfying the requirements above, but relevant graduate courses in other subjects, such as mathematics, are an option as well. Coursework taken prior to joining the combined degree program cannot be counted for graduate credit under any means.
Students can also take graduate level courses for graduate credit only once admitted to the combined degree program as well. This can be utilized to further reduce the time to a graduate degree.
- Submit an application
- Submit the Combined Degree Form
- Submit a Statement of Purpose
- Submit a CV/Resume
- Submit ALL post-secondary transcripts for credit received at any institution except those from Ohio State
- Any coursework you have completed at Ohio State will be obtained internally.
- Submit three letters of recommendation
- Must have an honor's undergraduate research proposal submitted and reviewed by the College of Engineering and be pursuing honor's research in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Applicants should submit and complete their application by the appropriate deadline below:
- Spring Semester: October 15
- Autumn Semester: June 1
Note: International students should plan to apply at least two weeks prior to the application deadline in order to meet I-20 update deadlines.