Transfer Credit Evaluation
Students with general (G000.0x) or technical (T000.0x) transfer credit can request that the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department further evaluate previous coursework. A successful request will allow students to receive a course substitution, course equivalency, course waiver, or eligibility for credit by examination. For further details about the transfer credit evaluation process, please contact an academic advisor.
Students who are considering transferring from another institution to Ohio State often have questions about how previous coursework applies to degree requirements. Detailed information regarding the transfer credit process can be found here.
Transfer Credit Guidelines
Is the institution from which you took the course an ABET Accredited Institution?
A current list of ABET-Accredited Programs may be found here. Department specific information regarding Mechanical Engineering coursework may be found below.
Transfer Credit will be awarded according to the following criteria:
- ABET Accredited Institution
- All Mechanical Engineering courses will receive General Credit (G000) unless an established equivalency exists. Established equivalencies are listed on the Transfer Credit Report.
- Non-ABET Accredited Institution (United States)
- Mechanical Engineering coursework with the following titles will receive General Credit (G000): Statics, Strength (or Mechanics) or Materials, Dynamics.
- All other Mechanical Engineering courses will receive Technical Credit (T000) and will be subject to further evaluation by the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
- Non-ABET Accredited Institution (International)
- Only Mechanical Engineering coursework with the following titles will receive General Credit (G000): Statics, Strength (or Mechanics) or Materials, Dynamics.
- There will be no transfer credit awarded for other Mechanical Engineering courses.
Transferology is a valuable tool for transfer students who wish to see how previous coursework will correlate to OSU degree requirements. Most equivalencies from this site will cover basic math and science courses, General Education courses, and in a few instances, Statics (MECHENG 2010), Mechanics of Materials (MECHENG 2020) and Dynamics (MECHENG 2030).